Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Sunday, June 12, 2011

On the plane.

As I write this, we are on the airplane to Athens, Greece. We have met up with Andrew in Newark and everything has gone very well . On the flight from Vegas we met a new friend Mike. Mike is on his way to
Geneve, Switzerland for a hospitality course lasting 3 weeks. Normally, if you don't know the person in your row, I like to just say hi and let them know to shake you really hard if they need to go to the bathroom. But in this situation, we went the whole flight without talking until the last 30 min or so. We had a lot to talk and joke about and then spent the next 2 hours at the Sam Adams bar/restaurant in the Newark airport. We exchanged stories, and discussed the pig roast that we will have to have in Vegas when we get back.

Another encounter was with a wacky young woman at the restaurant. We all noticed the huge earrings on her that must have been 4-5 inches in diameter. On a small young woman, this looked pretty spectacular. So, we were obviously talking about her and she was showing off and hopping around with some older dudes. But then, I told Mike that she was smiling at him and our group. I checked to see what was on the tv in our direction and if there were other people in the background that she was calling attention to. But no, it was us. She came over all giggly and made some comment about my hair. She liked the "tornado" doo. I thought it was just an eyesore to most people, but some people must dig it. Oh well, I do. She then informed us that she was in Vegas for a hair convention and was returning to Phoenix, and out of nowhere wanted us to visit her "website". Uh huh. I mean, "website". So I jotted the address down and she went on her way with a brief hug and an uncomfortable pat on the head by me. She did have cool braids like a crown.

I now see that the in flight map display shows that we are over the Atlantic. Feelings will be better when we get closer to land, such as Iceland. I can only imagine what that water must feel like right now. Little chilly? Time to rest. I want to get a few hours of rest and then eat the breakfast and we should be in Athens. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment