Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Athens, day 1

Athens. We made it! After a long grueling plane flight and lack of food and sleep, we are now chilling comfortably in our hostel. We are on the top of the building with a view of the Parthenon. Our deck has an awning and overlooks the street below. I have a feeling that our other lodging will not be this sweet. Here we come Bulgaria!

Here's a funny one. As began to create a beverage from the duty free bag, a girl knocks on the door. I open and she says that she is in need of something her friend left in the room. She then goes over the the knife block and removes a HUGE red handled bread knife. oK then. I was unable to open to top of my duty free purchase and asked her for assistance. Then, after her successful opening, I offered her a taste. She graciously said no and went on her way. That's now the second person that has come in here asking for something. I think they just want to check out the view.

So far our only venture out, other than the ride on the metro, was to get dinner. We took the recommendation from a hostel employee and went to a local Greek place. They had chicken and lamb on big roasters. Mmmmmm. In the restaurant we were a little freak show for the locals. I thought we were being good, but some seemed to stare. We then came back to quickly got out the guide books. Not being able to say please and thank you sure makes you feel dumb out there. Lesson learned.

Tomorrow we will explore the Acropolis and 2 museums. I will have to get the photo thing up and working. We will head to Delphi in a few days and when we leave Athens, we go to santorini. Hopefully we will get in a dive or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment