Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Delphi Day 1

We have just arrived in Delphi to see the oracle. I am at a turning point to choose a new life direction. Hopefully the oracle will lead me in the right direction. This worked for Apollo and should work for me.

This is also the area where Oedipus ran into his father and ended up killing him and marrying his morhter. Geeze! I better not let somwthing like that happen. I guess things could always get worse.

We had an interesting time leaving this morning. The guy in the backpackers hostel in Athens warned us about cabs in the early morning. He said it should be only 10 Euros to get to the Bus Terminal B. Well... We looked at maps and tried to be sure that we were going to the exact location, but something went a little wrong. After a long fast ride with another woman in the car, we ended up at a bus terminal. The wrong one we would soon find out, and he wanted 20 Euros. Ooops! I swore I made it clear where we wanted to go and how much we would want to pay. So we then had to go get another cab to take us to the correct terminal. WE ended up getting to the terminal in time, but shelled out another 10 Euros to get there, for a total of 30 Euros. Stupid Americans! WE swore not to let this happen again and when we get back to the Athens Terminal, we will be sure to walk our tails to the Metro station no matter how far the walk. We just have to get some money back somehow.

AS I sit at the computer in Delphi we are about to head out to the sites. The weather is cool in the mountains and there is a little moisture in the air, perfect for enjoying the ruins and museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment