Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Paris, France Day 1

What an amazing day!

We taught a day of school, surviving the "End of the World." Then, we jumped on our plane to Paris. It all happened in the blink of an eye, or that could just be the jet lagged mental state I am in as I write this. Thomas found us at the baggage exit and we hopped on the train to the center of town. We met Parisians right in the face as the night dragged on. Like New York City, it looked like an army of black. Except, their scarves really caught my attention since everyone was wearing one.

Best sandwich ever... Thomas made us a toasted multigrain bread, cream cheese, smoked salmon, and avocado masterpiece. Katherine was so overwhelmed, she said, "I am making one of those as soon as we get home." I have a feeling the food here is going to keep impressing us. Our XMAS dinner already has a few items on the menu that we have never had before. That will be in two nights from now.

We are staying at Thomas and Anne's place just a few minutes walk from the Eiffel Tower. There is a nice view from the bathroom of the tower. As I peeked out, I saw the strobe light show that ended just at midnight.

The apartment is small, which is expected in an apartment in Paris. Even with the small space, it is used exceptionally well. There is a place for everything. Their building is over a hundred years old complete with an open elevator, hardwood floors, water heat, and gas.


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment