Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Cozumel, Day 1

09-07-2016 Cozumel, Day 1

Our departure from Las Vegas was at 1:30am PST.  This “red eye” flying is getting old!  I am either getting too old for it, or I am unable to come up with ideas in which to cope with it.  The flight brought us to Houston, Texas at 5:30am CST.  We had to wait for a while and then boarded the flight to Cozumel, Mexico.  It was a lengthy wait on the tarmac with minimal AC for an hour before the plane backed away from the gate.  What was that about?  As soon as the plane took off, it chilled down and we were on our way to Mexico for three days of diving and some good friends' wedding. 

We arrived at the Cozumel airport after a smooth flight and were greeted with great weather.  Yes, It’s the middle of the summer, but it’s not that hot and humid, and a shore breeze is always a perk.

The shuttle took us to Villa Aldora where we got our room and set up camp.  I tried to lay down for a mini nap and then woke up with sweats.  The AC went out!  So, the very nice manager, Chris, changed us to another room, the only available one that had good AC and wouldn’t cause any hassles with other’s upcoming booking for accommodations.  We were bounced to the ocean view 2 bed with a full kitchen!  Now we’re talking!  

Down on the patio, we met two young software engineers from San Francisco; Bazel and Emil. We hit it off well with them and talked about our dive trips from the past.  Maybe tomorrow we will end up on the same boat?  We’ll see.  

Dinner was at a local and tested favorite just a short bike ride away.  Luckily for us, there was a great cover band doing a wide range of songs;  Mexican favorites, as well as a little U2, Beatles, Skynard, and other.  The female lead singer with a cool Mexican accent gave the songs a new cool flavor!  I am still kicking myself for not bringing the camera.  I promise, the next few days it will be attached to me at all times.


It’s early, but we have had a long day and I want to be as close to 100% on the dives tomorrow as possible.  Here we go!

1 comment: