Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Cozumel, Day 4

12-07-2016 Cozumel, Day 4

Well, it’s our last night on the island, and what a great day it was.  Our third day of diving was magnificent with two perfect dives, for us…. 

There was a little scare with one of the divers.  We were on the return from a deep (90 feet,) feature rich area with coral bommies, when a diver had a problem with one of his fins.  While trying to manipulate his fin below me by 10-15 feet, he descended a good 20 more feet very quickly while we were approaching our safety stop.  This is when air is beginning to run low and we are trying to smoothly exit the water back to the boat.  I gave him a few seconds to fix his problem before I was going to head down, while I had plenty of air.  As I was about to do so, Jorge, the dive master did a 180, and headed right for him.  They were both pretty deep by the point the fin was back in place and buoyancy was reestablished, and would have to make a slow ascent.  Jorge uses air like a boss and was diving enriched air, so he would be fine sharing if needed.  Katherine and I were diving air, and were close to our no decompression limits and probably would have gone into deco if we had descended to help.  Thankfully, all was good, except for a little embarrassment from the diver, but upon exit he had a very bloody nose and possibly mouth.  Not cool.  There was no mention about the blood, which I saw, and we all were cautious back on the boat.  Lunch went well, and there were no issues with the diver.  He said he was going to sit out the next dive, but when we were gearing up after lunch, he was donning his gear, so I guess he decided he was OK.  He was, or at least until we said goodbye after the end of the dive.  We dropped the diver off at his resort dock, and that’s all I know.  Things happen fast while diving, and when you let your guard down something is bound to happen.   

We brought all our gear back to the villa, rinsed it out, and now it is hanging to be packed away for the ferry ride to the mainland tomorrow.  

The dives were nice, indeed. We saw a group of nurse sharks, a lettuce sea slug, a few turtles, anemones (which are my favorite), and lots of coral of varying types.  It is always great to see the mysterious black coral which was farmed like crazy in the 1950’s and 60’s.  It is making a a resurgence, but slowly.  


Dinner was at El Coctelito and a grocery store run was made.  All in all, it was a great day to end the diving part of our trip.  We can’t wait to get back out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment