Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Delphi Day 1.2

Delphi Day 1.2

Today was spent with on and off rain walking around the Delphi sites. Our hotel is just a short walk over to the entrance. We started off with lots of rain where I couldn't even use the camera for scare of ruining it. But then, just a little later, I could use it without a problem. There were so many photo opportunities with the impressive mountains in the distance and the sun peeking through the clouds. We could get right up to everything and the Temple of Apollo was by far my favorite. All but 4 of the columns were knocked over. You could just imagine the natural earthquake forced needed to wreck this place. Delphi and Athens have buildings that would not withstand much of an earthquake. I am gunna go ahead and call it, "when the next big one hits, it will probably be much like Haiti". By looking at all these ruins you sure do realize that whatever man makes, nature will destroy in style.

So much for the strike scare this morning. Getting to the bus was not that bad except for the dumb cab situation. The ride through the countryside was pleasant and the bus was comfortable. We did make one stop at a hotel up on a hill with a killer view of the mountains.

When we got back from the Delphi sites, we took a long walk around the town and explored some side streets. That walk did take us up to the highest road overlooking the town and the Sea of Corinth. You could easily see the appeal of the port location with access to Delphi. I was trying to picture the massive boats landing and unloading large amounts of pre carved marble for the temples to be created. I will have to research a little more on the manufacture of the columns and the method of transport before I speak like I know anything. It sure is fun though. There are 4 streets in the town that skirt the steep flank the town is built upon. Then, connecting them are very intricate staircases that are built surely for form and function as well. You could have just slammed a staircase there to go up 50 feet or so, but here they are works of art. Every detail is looker over and the end result is something special.

As for the strikes in Greece, the museum today was shut down, so we had to settle for walking around the sites in the rain. But tomorrow we will go check it out right when it opens and take the bus back to Athens for another night. Then we head to Santorini.

No comments:

Post a Comment