Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Monday, June 13, 2011

Athens Day 2.2

Athens Day 2.2

We are back for a rest in the room after hiking the Acropolis.  There were tons of people from probably every country in the world.  The ruins were quite impressive as were the restoration projects.  Many have been going on since the 1980s and before.  The whole area up there is built on some pretty hefty marble and limestone.  Lots of reds and whites and tans.  While viewing the ruins, we also have a 360 degree view of Athens.   Out on my run this morning I was battling the humidity, but now is is quite nice.  At times there was a strong breeze that made things more enjoyable.  The entire area was free today, but the museum is closed.  So, tomorrow we will hit the museum and some other sites.  Today, we will get back out there and visit the lower ruins.

One more thing, the view of the Aegean sea from up high was awe inspiring.   Will have to wait a few more days to see that up close.  A 10 hour ferry ride to Santorini might just be a little much.  At least we get to sleep on that boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment