Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Athens Day 3.1

Athens Day 3.1

Just got back from the Acropolis museum.  I have never been around so much carved marble and pottery.  Some interesting stuff in there were the gold coins and daggers.  The entire museum sits atop an ongoing archaeological dig.  They seem to be digging up some cemetery and religious ground.  Pretty cool.  Sorry to say, there was no photography allowed inside.  So all we have is some pics from the outside.  The upper level was a make-up of the Parthenon with most of the marble that had been broken or destroyed.  Some rich dude from England, named Lord Elgin, ripped most of the stuff off in the 1800's.  We did see the 5 of the 6 Columns of the Athena temple that were being cleaned up with some laser.  The other one is in the British Museum.  It must have been crazy transporting all their spoils.  My biggest amazement might be how all this marble is transported.  Today, we have huge cranes with cables to move all this stuff around.  I have yet to see how they did it back then.  

Next, we are off to the port to get our tickets to Santorini.  Tomorrow we are off to Delphi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment