Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Friday, June 27, 2014

Vilnius to Riga and USA football

Today we left Vilnius and had to head north to Riga. This is just a short bus ride of less than 4 hours. We will be going to a different country though. Countries here in Europe are so close it's like going to different states in the USA. We were sad to leave for sure.
Katherine in front to the Home Made Hostel. We highly recommend.
The Lux Express was quite nice. Plenty of leg room, a restroom, and available snacks. I got caught up on some sleep and blog work on the ride, but the scenery kept me from my work at times.
This is Katherine at the Riga bus station crossing over to the market. Note the large hangars used for the different markets: meat, milk, fish, produce, etc. They are recycled Nazi Zepplin hangars cut down for enclosed shelters. Pretty cool.
We got to the hostel and put our stuff away. Then we headed out for a walk in the city before the USA versus Germany World Cup match. I was in search for the perfect place to watch such a magical event.
We heard some jazz in the town and had to take a brief break to give these guys a listen.
Then it happened. We found an Irish pub to sit down with a tv and watch the game. I saw lots of tables that had reserved signs on them. The hostess said that lots of German fans were planning to come to watch the game. This was bad news for me as I was wearing my glorious USA away jersey. The crowd was nice and knew where I was sitting for sure, especially when I had to use the restroom and walk through all of them.

The match was very entertaining, but it would have been better if the USA had won. They didn't. It ended 1-2, Germany winning. Ouch! But, my forecast was a 0-4 with a Germany win. Good for us. Now we have made it to the round of 16!

Tomorrow will be a morning run, followed by a walking tour of the city of Riga. Gotta get some rest.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment