Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Lithuania Rainy Day

We took a long time at breakfast this morning. It was raining and cold. By cold, I mean it was 50 degrees, windy, and rainy. Katherine and I went for a 3 mile run across town in the slick city streets and even climbed the castle lookout tower. It was a great view of the city, but since it was raining, I did not even bother to bring the camera.

After that we came back to the hostel, showered, and headed out for lunch. Well, at least to the market to gather things to make lunch. Lunch consisted of Camambert cheese, olives with pine nuts, tomatoes, avocado, bread, and bell peppers. Very nice and simple.

The rain let up for a while and we ventured back out into the city. The sun angle was perfect again for taking pictures and we just strolled through the beautiful twisting streets. I notices a few artistic iron works on the sides of the buildings. Check these out!

Somehow we ended up at the Meat Lovers pub. This place was recommend by Lina, the hostel owner, but we were not actively in search of it. So, we went in. This place was no joke. It catered to people that eat meat. Every choice on the menu was a meat delicacy. I had the duck breast and Katherine had a bowl of chili of goodness.

After the meat pub, we came back, took a 2 hour nap, then headed back out for the soccer games. This time Lina wanted to go with us. You can't say no to a local wanting to hang out too. Peter, the guy that left to stay at another place on his way out of town, met up with us, as well as Dusan and Jack.

The soccer game....

USA vs Portugal 2-2. The bar we went to had one pretty big tv and lots of tables and was crowded. Once the USA game started there were less people. The game started at 1am and we were pumped! I am no sports blogger but can tell you that this game was insane. The last goal to tie it up was in the last seconds of the game. I had even called the game as a win and put my head down on huge table. Then I heard the play. Not a good evening. The company was great though, I must say.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment