Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Friday, June 13, 2014

NC Diving Day 2

This day started out with a wicked thunderstorm cell in Morehead City.  We thought that the boat was going to stay in port, so we hung out at the dive shop.  Bobby, the captain was watching the radar and thought we could head out a little later.  The lighting and thunder rocked the place and even blew off a wood panel from the shop.  This was a great time to look around the shop at all the artifacts that have been brought up from the deep and read some of the dive books.  Bobby's father accumulated so much in his years of diving it made for an impressive display.  
Bobby's father with binoculars found on the U-352.

U-352 items.


After an hour and a half the storm subsided and left the area.  We were all thrilled to get back on the boat.  The plan was to stay in a little closer to shore and hit the sites of the Titan Tug and the Suloide. 

This is just half of the camera gear on board.

After the thunderstorm delay, we were heading out!

Viz was not great, but my camera got a little foggy as well.  You live, you learn.  

Katherine chilling on the Titan.  Michael is just behind. 

Here is a spotted drum.  He was tiny! Maybe an inch long?

As I was shooting the drum, I failed to look to my right, and noticed this bad boy frogfish. Astounding!


Gobies rule!

No joke, right after I took this the anemone closed back into his hole in the blink of an eye.

Some cool looking coral on the rail of the Titan. 



Dinner tonight was 2 dozen blue crabs.  Yes, I am playing with my food.  We steamed those creatures up and devoured them all. 

Diving was terrific to say the least.  The visibility today was not the best, but we managed to see all sorts of creatures on the 2 wrecks.  None of us did any penetration and just navigated around looking for stuff on the outsides.  Our team of 5 is working out nicely as a group.  Rumor has it that tomorrow we might be heading out the German U Boat if the weather cooperates.



No comments:

Post a Comment