Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Friday, June 6, 2014

Summer Vacation Begins!!!

Summer vacation begins, and the blog awakens!

It was a great last year at my school.  The end came way to fast and saying goodbyes were really difficult.  The students knew that I was leaving and so did the staff.  I made many friends and "forced" music on many a listing ear.  My new school will be 10 miles closer and "bikeable" on a daily basis.  I plan to drive my car only on the weekends.  No more I-15 traffic!


The music room was my home for 8 years, and now I say good bye.  So many memories.  It was tough getting out of there.  I care about the school and community so much, I wanted everything to be perfect for the new teacher.


Students wrote goodbye messages on my board.  I would take a photo and then erase for the next class or once it got filled up.  This one is really special to me.  The student came to our school in first or second grade and was a Drumming Cougar for 3 years.  I still have the "Why I want to join drums" letter.  Gotta find it. 



As I write, it is my last night in Las Vegas for a long time.  We are heading out tomorrow to North Carolina for a week of diving with friends, then to the Baltics (Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania) for a month.  After that, it will be Portugal and Spain.  It all ends with a Disney Cruise with my parents in the Mediterranean.  

Keep checking back since I will be posting on a daily basis.

G


1 comment: