Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Friday, June 15, 2012

Phuket Diving, Day 2

Oh, the diving. Let me tell you a little about that. We just finished our second day out on the boat and now we are preparing for our third. Water temps have been in the 28-30 degree C range. Nothing we have done has been deep. We might have hit 25 meters once, but mostly the depths have been in the 15-20 meter range. Yesterday, we started with a beautiful wall dive on Koh Doc Mai. Viz was good and the life was astounding. Then we headed out to Koh Phi Phi Lee and Koh Phi Phi Beda Nia. The super cool things that we saw were: a ghost pipe fish, yellow sea horse, nudibranch, box shrimp, dancing shrimp, giant moray eels, 3' nurse shark sleeping in a hole, mantis shrimp, stick pipe fish, numerous lion fish, clown fish, kuhl stingray, and even a crown of thorns. Whew! The photo SD card is getting a work out as well as the camera, housing and strobe. Out of the hundreds of photos that I took, there might be 10 that I like and are acceptable. That's just how it goes. The islands themselves have a striking beauty, which is probably why they were used as the setting in the Leonardo DiCaprio film The Beach. Most of them butt right up to the ocean with giant cliffs of limestone. The jungle still finds places to take root making the green and rock stand out from miles away. I have never seen anything like that. I will try to put up some pics that show what I mean.

As I write this, we are planning to get out and to another day of diving. My goal is to enjoy myself and hopefully get this camera dialed in on a few shots. We will be back earlier today with only 2 dives in the plan and can figure out how we are getting to Koh Tao the next day.

 

1 comment:

  1. What a good blog you have here. Please update it more often. This topics is my interest.
    Similan Liveaboards | PADI Lessons Phuket

    ReplyDelete