Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Koh Tao Diving, Day 4-5

The last day of diving on the island was something truly spectacular. We had an early meet at 7 am and then off to Shark Island (no sharks) and then to Hin Ngam. Shark Island started with some serious current and then smoothed out once we evaded it by going shallower in the protection of some reef. The highlights were some giant grouper, more nudibranch, beaked corral fish, and long tail emperor fish. Mark was our guide and it was a slow relaxing time. Water was clear, a good 60 foot viz, and our gear was dialed in. We have now logged 13 dives on Koh Tao and have another 11-12 hours of dive time.

The night dive yesterday took us to the site Twins. It was shallow and easily managed since we were familiar with the site. At night, the corral polyps were abundant and so were the feather stars. No one on the boat got sick or had to come up early, so we all nailed hour dives. There was even a turtle we saw bedding down for the evening. I have some video of the turtle, but no still shots, since a 35w strobe might send the beast into a heart attack!

The Master Divers crew and staff has been better than expected. It's not a place that is going to put you gear on for you, and you have to climb a ladder to get out of the boat. The outfit in Australia was a little different. I like having to work and help out a bit and sometimes have to simmer down to not get in the way.

Captain Pee Dong needs a paragraph to himself. Each boat trip is controlled by this man, and a man he is. He is a shorter older man with the long goatee from the movies. His chest is tatooed with bullets and Thai writing in various swirls and over his arms. He constantly talks on the radio, and we were told he is setting up his next spear fishing outing or breakfast dates. No one goes past the blessed front of the boat and never into his cabin. We showed a little gratitude today by offering a tip as he was walking back out to the boat. When I reached out my hand to offer, he was surprised and when he took the money, he offerd me in return his drink. I originally refused and said just keep it, but he insisted. Some people in the dive shop were watching and I returned to the staring group who asked what I did for Pee Dong to get him to hand over a drink? It seemed to be a coffee almond sugary creation from a local shop. We all tried it out and it is still a mystery. Captain Pee Dong, thank you for the safe travels in choppy waters.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment