Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Koh Tao Diving, Day 3

The night finished with a "send off" of two future dive masters. The Master Divers crew threw a party at a mini golf place for their two students that recently completed their requirement for becoming a dive master. We got the invite a few days ago and were asked to join in the festivities. The next day would have us diving early, but we wanted to see what all this was about. A similar thing happened on the island of Bonaire while out diving and it was so much fun, we were sure no to miss this event. Hopefully the picture will do this justice.

The first dive today took us out to Chumphon Pinnacle. This is a shallow spot in the water with no island and very shallow water which must cause havoc for ships. Since we were WAY out in the ocean, the large fish were abundant. We saw trevally, snappers, and barracudas in large schools. The current was strong and I missed a chance at a goliath grouper, but I didn't want to swim against the current and risk scaring it off for the rest of the dive party. The second dive brought us closer to the main island. We saw our first turtle there and I got a sweet pic of a nudibranch. The dive times were right at an hour making the day perfect! It was nice to sleep in a bit and get out later. Tomorrow will have us doing two early dives and then back out for a night dive.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment