Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Night before

I sit here writing this post knowing it will be my last at home for quite some time. Bags are packed, and have been for a week. The checklists have been worked and reworked. The house is is great shape. But... There still is that apprehension about leaving. Last year was the same, which is funny. I thought I would be calmer since this is my second huge trip. Planning was easier, and the preparations were smoothly coordinated. But, there is still something creating this excitement before the trip. Maybe it is that we are diving and there is a whole load of gear that goes along with that? Or, is it that we are going to the other side of the world in a cultural opposite of what we are accustomed to? Maybe it is this thrill of the unknown that keeps bringing me to the next trip and I will always be uneasy about it? It would be much more simple and productive to stay at home. The 240z needs about a year of work, the trombone will not practice itself, and the truck needs to be run in the trails. Bottom line: the excitement is high and I never thought I would go travel across these four countries in my life! Actually, when I was in elementary school, I thought we would all be wearing aluminum suits Ian's be living on a Mars base of some kind. Now, that never happened. Big downer.

Tomorrow's travel from Vegas - Los Angeles - Seoul - Bangkok - Phuket, all 40 hours or so, will give me enough time and people watching to fill a whole book. Let's see what it has to bring. I have a camera and I am willing to use it!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment