Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Phuket, Day 4

Today was a little odd... We did not dive.

Instead, we took our time at breakfast and talked about the previous days encounters. Then we went out and lounged by the pool. It had looked SO inviting, but we were just too tired to jump in when we got back from diving the last 3 days. It was nice to sit out there today, play with the camera, listen to the high school drum line, and feel the tropical breeze. As a pool guy in the past, this was a splendid creation! Infinity edges, at least 50' long, free form, and custom tile and mosaic work. Nice job guys!

There were 2 tasks for the day. One, was to get Katherine's regulator from the shop. She had a free flow issue at depth, so we took it to the Mares dealer on the main drag. The second was to get travel info on how to get to Koh Tao. The manager of the resort met with us and made a few calls regarding bus transport with gear to the city of Chumphon. From there we will take the ferry out to Koh Tao. So far it looks good and travel might not be that bad. We are traveling across the countryside and anything can happen. It is a fairly well traveled route on the way to Bangkok, so as long as we stay on track, all should be fine.

The night ended with a great last meal at the Palm Garden Resort. We paid the tabs and talked briefly with 2 instructors from Sea Bees Diving. We were warned by one of them as to how much fun we would have in Cambodia. I draw the line at deep fried tarantulas!

3 comments:

  1. THE best travelogue ever! Beautiful photo of Katherine, and each paragraph really puts me there...thanks for keeping this up. Are the tarantulas real, or just a name for some kind of pastry, like you might find in France? (and do I want to know? :0 ... ) ok, yes I do want to know. I really like seeing stuff on the tables, like the ketchup bottle. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to say, the tarantula meal is real. Cambodians are not squeamish with anything. Glad to see this little blog is keeping you interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that picture of Katherine, it's great!

    ReplyDelete