Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Portland to Rainier

09 Jul 2013               Portland to Mt. Rainier Nat. Park

            The drive from Portland to Seattle is only 3 hours, but when you are on a huge summer trip, why not break it up with a stop at Mt. Rainier National Park?  That was the plan, and what a glorious plan it was.  The park is tremendous!  The volcano stands out of the surroundings like a giant mountain shaped ice berg.  It is just over 14,400 feet and this monster is completely covered not only in snow, but 20 glaciers.   It is capable of total devastation, visible from the avalanche chutes, lava flows, and water run off.  When this thing blows it’s top again, everyone will feet its impact.  We are staying at a campsite with signs posted saying, “You are in a danger zone and have been warned.  Camp at your own risk.”  Lovely.  Not only will bears kill us, but now we will die from hot lava and melting snow mudslides.  Nature, you win, but just let me sleep the night. 


           
            We attended another “Ranger Briefing.”  Tonight’s talk was on the Native American view of the volcano, as told to us in 3 short stories from a park ranger.  I can’t do them justice by retelling them myself, but I have to say that the ranger had the crowd hanging on his every word.  He used a preacher type of delivery and cadence.  It worked and his main goal was to get the tourist of today to view the volcano from the eyes of a Native American.  Rainier is a truly beautiful place, and has been special to every group of humans that have witnessed it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment