Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Portland, OR

09 Jul 2013               Portland, OR

            Portland is just an hour and a half from Cannon Beach.  The drive was beautiful and it was evident that we were coming into a larger city.  The two lane road from the beach to the city was full of travelers.   I bet in the near future, this nice country road will be a 4 lane highway sometime.  Too bad.

            When we arrived at our friends apartment the weather was beautiful and the parking lot was surrounded by wild blackberries.  They are not quite ripe, but will be in a week or two.  We stayed with Eve and Levi, our friends from long ago, but longer for Katherine.  Katherine grew up as a child hanging out with Eve.  Their mothers were friends back in the 1960’s, and still are today.  We joined them for New Year’s Eve at their mountain cabin parties in past years, and stayed with Eve when she lived in Denver, and hung out with them in Vegas a few times.  While on road trips, when we pass through Palisade, CO we see them too.  The West Slope peaches are great in the summer!   (Too bad we are missing them right now) Katherine’s mom’s friend Diane, and husband Patrick, were in Portland finishing up a summer camping trip with Eve, Levi, and their other daughter Gabrielle.  They were on their way out, but we had a day of overlapping travel.   We were lucky for this!  That one night was a great time of talking and learning to play Polish poker.



            We made it into “Portland Proper” as I was calling it, not “Downtown” or the “City.”  Katherine and I just drove.  (No, we didn’t ride a bike or take public transit.)  I found a place to park the H3.  That was difficult to find.  The H3 has two roof boxes and antennas galore, not exactly lending itself to park in a parking garage.  We were in search of the food trucks.  Levi and Cora (another friend from the cabin parties that now lives in Portland and we were able to have dinner with) said that they are really cool and you can find any type of food you want.  Oh, we found them!  There were a ton of trucks.  I narrowed my focus on the Thai truck advertising their Pad Thai.   Katherine was happy with this, and we ordered.  There were lots of people around, since it was lunchtime, and we were about to have a warm welcome to Portland. 


           
            A filthy, obvious intoxicated man, smelling of bodily waste approached us.  There we were, just minding our own business, waiting for our food order like everyone else, when he got really close to us and said “Hey, man,” in his slurred surfer accent.  OK, I thought.  I have dealt with this before.  Just say, “No, sorry man.”  The problem was, I said this before he even said what he had to say.  This was bad.  It set him off.  He was trying to run some con with his friend in front of him, and when I didn’t give him a pansy , non-confrontational excuse like everyone else, but just a direct “No,” he decided to yell at me for the next 3 to 5 minutes.  Did you all know that I think I am sooooo cool, but I’m not.  I think I’m am “kung fu,” but I’m not “kung fu,” I’m fake.  I’m not real.  Look at me with my lady-person, thinking I am so cool, but I’m just fake.  I’m so fake that he wondered where I am from.  I wasn’t keeping in real enough to be from Portland.  They just needed a little help.  I heard about how uncool I am forever, then he told me that he was the drummer for the band Butthole Surfers.  What the!?!  He finally left, and the lady waiting behind me said, “Welcome to downtown Portland.”  I have traveled to a lot of cities around the world with pan handlers and con artists.  Everywhere else, when you say no to someone asking for money, they just go away.  They might mumble something rude, but they go away.  This was the first time a tramp was spoiled enough to become so indignant when denied.  It was an entertaining way to begin our tour of Portland.

            Unfortunately, we did not have anymore awesome encounters with famous musicians, but we did have a pretty great time walking around the City Center.   From there, we walked down 10th street to the north and back down 11th.  We were glad that we did.  There was a really cool guitar store and a bike shop.  Both places had nice employees that talked to us about the products and small talked for a while.  This was a great change from the exchange in front of the food trucks.  After the bike shop we went to the Deschutes Brewery, sampled some or their specialties, and drove out to the north of the city.  Our friend Lori had arranged to meet up with us at the Hopworks Urban Brewery Bike Bar.  We got there in perfect time to find Lori in her car, then Eve and Levi Joined us, and it was a great time.  This restaurant is along the “bike highway” out of Portland.  Indeed it was.  Bikers were flocking out of the city in front of the restaurant in droves. 



            Our time in Portland was brief.  We were able to see some friends that we had not seen in a while, and got just a taste of the city.  I hope to get back in the future and see some more.  The traffic going into downtown from the west is a little crazy.  We were supposed to go climbing with Lori the last evening there, but sitting in traffic for 40 min and only going 5 miles was enough fuel to turn around.  That just makes me want to get back again and plan the travel times a little better.  The breweries that we went to were only a small sampling for what the city has to offer.  The weather was more than perfect with temps in the 80’s with full sun, no rain, and gentle breezes.  Now it’s time to head up the coast to Washington, another state that I have never had the pleasure to visit.

I forgot to mention the Danner Boot Factory, the dress shop in a bus, and Powell's Bookstore.  Oh well, this post is long anyway.




            Oh yeah, Katherine’s leg is feeling better.  She is not running on it yet, but is able to walk around without hobbling.  For a while, I thought she was going to have to get it scanned and maybe be on crutches.  We will take it easy, but there are a lot of trails we are going to hit soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment