Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Monday, July 1, 2013

Lassen NP to Redwood NPSP

29 Jun 2013              Lassen Volcanic Park to Redwood Nat. Park   

            We just got back from our ranger “briefing” at the Redwood State Park in Northern California.  Since you can not camp in the actual park, we wanted to be as close as possible and camp in the State Park, which butts up right next to it.  Nice!  So, tomorrow, we will hike right into the National Park and have the same luxury of staying in it as well. 

            Last night we stayed in the Lassen Volcanic National Park just east and up the mountains from Redding, California.  It was something spectacular to say the least.  We only wanted a spot to half the distance from Tahoe to Redwood, and stumbled on this gem.  Time was a concern, so we just did the drive in, looked around, and then immediately set up camp.  I wish that we could have seen more, but that will be another time.  The only reason that I knew of this place was from a long ago ham radio contact that I made in Las Vegas.  There was a guy transmitting from the park and I got his card in the mail after we made a contact.  Wow.  Seeing it in real life was truly something special. 



            Leaving Lassen this morning was sad, I must say.  We made some German traveler friends the night before and left before they even woke up.  We exchanged travel information and chatted for a few hours.  I have always wanted to talk to foreign travelers that we have seen in our national parks, but never had the courage to.  After traveling a few places in the world, I really wanted to ask them a few specific questions about their travels and how they were being treated in the USA.  They said that people were being nice and helpful and they were REALLY enjoying their time.  The boy and girl mentioned that their mother kept saying that this was the most beautiful place she had ever seen.  And, that was for every new place that they stopped.  Geez!  They hadn’t even seen the Grand Canyon yet.  I wonder what her reaction will be when they get there, or even Zion.  They were from outside Berlin and were visiting the USA for the first time.  I, of course, had to tell them that we are a huge fan of the Berlin Philharmonic.  I don’t think that it mattered to them, but just being excited about Berlin made them happy.  We told them about our travels there 2 years ago and had a lot to talk about .  The brother and sister really wanted to talk a lot and ask about the USA.  Its funny how polite and formal English learners are.  Everything they said was polite and formal without slang.  It seemed so weird, especially when they would get excited about something and just let go.  I wished them the best on their USA travels and left a card on their window when we left. 



            Getting to Redwood NP was no easy feat!  Little did I know that the roads across California from Lassen NP were some of the most twisty and mountainous of all time.  In two places, the mountain roads were shut down to only one lane and we had to stop and wait to take our turn.  This was OK since the scenery was spectacular and I could listen in to the construction work on the CB radio.  That big ugly antenna has almost paid itself off!  We crossed through the northern Sierra mountains and into the southern Cascades.  I couldn’t really tell the difference except for coming close to Redding.  This is where Mt. Shasta can be seen in the distance, and what a sight!  It pokes up in the middle of nowhere like an ice dagger coming out of the ground, still full of snow almost into July and towering above everything else.  Maybe someday, I will get to the top of that one. 

            We stopped for lunch, gas, groceries, and WiFi in Arcata. Then we headed north on the CA 101.  It is a joy to have the moist, salt air to breath.  I just don’t think the metal on my truck feels the same way.  Seeing the ocean is making us crave sea food.  Over the next few days we will have the opportunity to indulge in some of the Pacific’s finest. 


            Tomorrow is a full day in the redwoods and then on to Oregon.  For some funny reason, the ham radio is getting a ton of noise on the 14MhZ band.  I will have to hold off tonight and just get to bed.  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment