Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Thursday, July 11, 2013

02 Jul 2013 Seafood on the Oregon Coast

02 Jul 2013               Seafood on the Oregon Coast       

            I sat down today for lunch in Tillamook ,Oregon and could not believe that I forgot to mention the seafood we had on the July 1st.  Outside of Coos Bay, we ate in Charleston on the beach.  This is a little fishing village with lots of boats (obviously) and a large Coast Guard station.  Katherine found a place on the Internet that looked good, but the mapping on the phone gave us a few problems locating the restaurant.  I actually located it by the picture and not the address given by the phone.  The place is called Miller’s at the Cove.
           
            Upon entering, we were greeted with local photos and sports memorabilia.  But, what caught my eye was the sea charts of wrecks along the Oregon Coast on the wall.  I took a look at these earlier, but first, we had to sample the local raw oysters.  Wow!  After a cup of the clam chowder, I ordered a Dungeness crab melt and Katherine had Dungeness crab tacos.  I must say, the local food did not disappoint.  Never had I had that much crab at one time that I didn’t have to work for it by breaking the shells.  We were on a hunt for local fresh seafood, and we found it! 



            Today, the 3rd of July, we searched out a place in Tillamook, Oregon called Kendra’s Kitchen.  We pulled up at 11:30am and it said that it was closed, but Katherine looked online to check.  It said, “Open at 11:30-ish.”  OK then….  We drove off to another place that was also closed and returned to Kendra’s.  Now they were open!  How funny.  We started with a cup of clam chowder and 2 local microbrews, then I had a plate of crab/artichoke ravioli and Katherine had a salad with 6 giant grilled oysters from Netarts Bay.  We were not let down.  The clam chowder was delectable.  Katherine is on a mission to try a cup of clam chowder every place that we stop.  I am behind her on that decision, as long as I get a taste or 7.  Kendra’s was a hit, and if I was born a girl, my mom said that is what I would have been named after my father, Ken….so we had to stop here.






            The food at the two locations has been great, and we hope to try some more.  I just want to get some Dungeness crab and break it apart myself.  One of our favorite places to eat is with Michael Tyner on the Chesapeake Bay munching on the local crustaceans.  I just hope to get a pic of us devouring the Pacific’s finest for him.  My search continues. 


No comments:

Post a Comment