Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Hue, Vietnam

This stop was not quite a whole day. We arrived in the morning on the night train from Hanoi by 10am. Then we walked to the hotel, took a shower and laid around for a little bit. We went back out to check out the sunset and get dinner. Our choice for dinner was the DMZ, or demilitarized zone, restaurant. Kinda funny since we were chilling around the 17th parallel. It looked like a place to get safe food. I didn't want to take chances. The train to Nha Trang in the morning was at 8am, so we had to get to bed early and stay on track. I hate to stay somewhere just for one night, but this time it had to happen like this. Hostel owners don't like to clean a room for someone staying one night, and with the town being so interesting, I really felt like a few days here would have been nice. Oh well.

During our walk through Hue, we came across some fascinating stuff. We saw pet fish for sale on the back of carts. There were numerous tuk tuk drivers wanting to take you for a couples ride through the town. Being cramped up in the train for as long as we had, walking seemed like the best idea. There was a giant Co-op market store that we cruised through just to get a few items for the next day's ride to Nha Trang. The sunset was beautiful. Probably the best that I had seen this summer. As I was trying to get a photo of it from a bridge, there were some tuk tuk drivers wanting our money. Then they saw, and thought, I was taking pictures of them. The one man screamed and pointed his finget at me. Whoops. I just smiled and acted like nothing happened.

We got a good restful sleep that night, which would be needed for the long train ride the next morning.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment