Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Hanoi to Hue

 

Not much happened this day except for getting caught up on vacation work. Blog entries and post cards had to be finished and we found a cool movie station on the television. Some crazy titles we saw were: The Ambushers, Wonderwoman, Faster, Universal Soldier the Return, Frankenfish, and The Lovely Bones. We were in and out of the room, so that looks like a lot of time. It was. It was good to recharge our batteries and organize a few things.

The hostel crew took us to the train station. This was interesting since Hoi wanted to carry our bags AND be sure we got on the correct train. In our cabin, when he said bye and wanted to leave, I told him to hang on. "I have something in my bag for you." He said if its money, he does not want to take it. I handed him 2 US two dollar bills and said that they are good luck. They were from my unfolded collection, so I said, "Keep them nice, and thanks a lot. You guys are amazing."

We were now on the train in a 4 person sleeper. The Vientamese ladies below invited others into their beds. Other family members that is. We heard That you might have a whole family in the cabin with you on these overnight trains, and we pretty much did. Well, they were quiet, nice, and did not smell. So life was good. We slept well even with the bumpy track and fast train driver.

In the morning, we still had some time to kill on the train. The family below was eating and brought a whole feast with them. Just when I thought there was way too many of them in there, I thought I should go out into the hall to get a break. That's when the mother offerd us some of their food. How could I resist? We ate some mix of rice and corn, meat product?, and fresh cut dragon fruit. Yummy! They ended up being quite nice and the daughter only spoke fragments of English. It didn't matter, we understood each other well enough.

When we arrived at the station in Hue, it was just a 3k walk to the hostel. The place is very nice. And once again, the hostel crew took our bags for us, offered water and fruit, and showed us our room. The room had fresh flowers and was very clean. This Vietnamese hospitality is unreal.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment