Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Friday, July 22, 2011

Split, Croatia Day 3

Split, Croatia Day 3

Today was pretty sweet! We got up and had a wonderful breakfast in our little courtyard. There is a communal cooking area with a refridgerator and a stove. Outside, there are 2 picnic tables which make a nice place to sit under the grape vines for shade. Our plan was to hit two museums and then go to the beach. We headed out towards the town center and headed into the museum area. Since we are staying for four night here in town, they gave us a museum card that has some killer discounts and even free entry. Our first, was the Split City Museum, then off to the Maritime Museum. Both were extremely in depth and had very well preserved artifacts and played out a wonderful historical timeline. By my observations, and not being able to read the Croatian, I can not believe the intricate history of this place. These people have stuck together through some really tough times. War and the important location of the city, have lended it to invasion and turmoil destroying much of the city over time. Being rebuilt each time, now it is a wonderful place to relax and step back in history.

Today, we have crossed paths with some very interesting and friendly Germans. These two dudes are here for a wedding and are staying at our hostel for a week. The wedding is for a long time friend and the
week is full of festivities for them. We started off just casually having breakfast together and conversing about events and happenings. Meeting people from different places makes you turn on different humor receptors. These Germans are extremely funny if you are ready for it. Our pal, Scott from Scotland, we met in Bulgaria, was different and kept me on my toes with his jokes. These guys don't let down either, and when fired up, things get crazy. When asked by a British girl, "Are you guys twins or brothers?" One said back, with a straight face and zero expression with heavy accent, "both." The comic delivery was dead on and we died laughing. Back in Las Vegas I have tried getting sardines in a can from the grocery store in the International section. German sardines gotta be great, right? I ate them at work and could barely stomach them, and I have put some weird stuff down the hatch. Going into the kitchen this morning, Raphael and Simon were cooking up the hugest pile of sarsines in a pan from the local market. Those beady eyes were peering at me from over the rim of the pan. Right then, I knew that we were dealing with the authentic Germans. Correct indeed!

After the museums and beach time, we ran into Raphael in the grocery store. We decided to do dinner together back at our place and split groceries. There was some leftover pasta from the night before, and we were going to add some kielbasa sausages. I was cooking up the pasta while Raphael prepared.... Holy cow! What is that? He had a huge pile of squid. I'm talking totally intact whole squid about a foot long. They were in the sink lying there. He prepared them by cleaning out the insides and chopped them up in the saucepan. In Kotor, I thought I had my last squid for a while with that meal piled high. I don't mind it, but in large quantities, it's a little much. So, all he did was pour in some tomato sauce and let it simmer for a while. Not bad, but he is a seafood meister! On the plate was pasta, broccoli, and kielbasa, and we poured the squid mixture on top. Not too bad. I had to have some bread to top it off. Dinner was great. The company was entertaining. We hung out for maybe 4 hours for the ordeal. Mind I say, it was super cheap too. Another point for hostel meals in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment