Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Dubrovnik, Croatia Day 2

Dubrovnik, Croatia Day 2

Looking back on the blogs is pretty neat this far in the trip. I can't believe how much I have written and never before have I documented a trip like this. Well, I have never been on a trip like this before either. Even though there are only about 2-5 hits a day, it is still fun to write. Once again, I believe that I am my own biggest fan. If there is something that interests you in the blog, please comment. If you think it sucks, please comment. We would love to hear from you. If you have a question about a country or would like to know other details, let me know and I will consult the travel team. When the entries come piling up, that's just because I have not had Internet connectivity or I have had to wait a day to write. Sorry about that. Let's get rolling.

Today, we set out to have a partial rest day, and if you know me, that normally does not happen, even if planned. Breakfast was prepared in the super nice kitchen and we headed out to the beach. It was just a short walk through the camping areas. This must be a popular campground for EU road trippers and backpackers with the necessary gear. Never did we see a motorhome. Everything was a pull behind camper, either full height or pop up style. The beach is named Copacabana, like the one in Brazil. It overlooks one of the inlets and the bridge in the distance. The water is surprisingly clear and has a rocky shore entrance. I believe that we were the only Americans there because they are easy to spot. This time water temps were warmer than the Black Sea, but just wearing a swimsuit is refreshingly chilly. Here in Europe, it looks like if you are a kid under about 6 you can just go naked if you want. Kind of weird especially when the little dudes need to relive themselves in the open. Once again when we fire up in English, we get the crazy look, but probably deserve it. Andrew and I swam out to the concrete platform and jumped in a few times. I misjudged a rock on a long running dive and sliced my finger a bit. This could have been much worse. Maybe the super fast running dive was not the best choice. Once again, I would have killed to have my mask from home. The underwater terrain looked interesting and I probably should have just asked to borrow someone's. Liquid courage could have taken care of that.

Today, being the opening of the last Harry Potter film, and a day earlier than the USA, we found that it was showing in Dubrovnik. So, we found the theater online and decided to just walk to the theater. It looked like it was close to the walled old town, so we headed out after a super early dinner. Google maps said walking should take us 40 min. After a long walk through streets that don't make much sense, it was closer to an hour and the theater was actually inside the fortified walled area. A couple of people helped us find it and we still and time for the show at 7pm. But..... BOOM! Sold out! Said the ticket lady. We were bummed that we had walked so far. She said we could get tickets for tomorrow if we show up at 9am. They do not do pre sales. By walking we save a lot of money, but who wants to go all the way there in the morning to then return later for the show? Me, I guess. So,tomorrow morning, I will run there in the early AM for my run and grab the tickets and come on back. Then we should hit the beach, eat a big lunch, head to the old town, tour for a while, get cheap street food, and hit the movie and walk back. We'll see.

After finding out the tickets were sold out, we went to a public water fountain. All around where we have been, there are public fountains where you can refill bottles or wash up a bit from the clean spigots. Some are ornate, and some are just functional. This is where I left my sunglasses. I only realized this when we got to the other side of the walled city fortress. What does GMAN do? Run to the other side as fast as possible to see if they are there while Katherine and Andrew wait. This time.... BOOM ! Fund 'em just where I left them. Thank goodness they were all tourists because some of the shady places we have been, they would have been snatched up in a second. Just glad it wasn't my camera. There are too many pics on that card to mess with that disaster.

Gotta get some sleep to get up early and run. Hopefully we'll get those Harry Potter tickets!

No comments:

Post a Comment