Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Saturday, August 11, 2012

SE Asia trip recap

To sit and write a recap of 2 months of travel will be some fun and force me to look back at the trip as a whole. We saw 4 countries in a part of the world I never thought we would visit. I had preconceptions about what I might see and feel, and I have to say, most of them turned out false.

In general things are less clean than the USA. Water is mostly unsafe. Stop signs are only guidelines. There is more to eat than beef, pork, and chicken. Stomach issues are commonplace. Napkins are a luxury. Car horns are used just to let everyone know where you are and not used as aggression. There are no full sized cars. It is funny that Americans think they need massive trucks and SUVs just in case they need the room when all you need is a 100cc moped to fit: a family of 5, 6 live full grown pigs, a dozen 5 gallon water jugs, full size doors, giant panes of glass, 4 forty pound rice bags, or just about anything else you can imagine, not to mention being a babe magnet. Electrical wiring is an impromptu art form. Black asphalt is used sparingly. American football is considered strange. Every tourist is an "expert" in American politics. Facebook is alive and well even in the most remote places. Generally, rich people are fat people. Americans are extremely wealthy. Everyone of us. "Poor" has a new definition in my mind. Plastic will take over the planet in due time.

One of the most surprising things was how positive and friendly everyone was, considering 3 of the 4 countries have endured horrible atrocities within the last 50 years. Even with the loud, crazy, dirty assault on your senses, we enjoyed ourselves more than expected. Hopefully, we can return in the future to see the progress that is sure to happen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment