Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Monday, June 3, 2019

Kinsale 6

Today we made breakfast in the cabin.  Katherine and Andrew made marvelous bagel sandwiches.  Coffee was made in the house French press, which was perfect.  We got going slowly, but needed the rest after the early morning departures the past few days.

The host of our Airbnb told us that there was a super cool walk along the Kinsale Bay from our bungalow.  After breakfast, we packed our daypacks and headed out.  The walking path took us up along the overgrown wall road.  It seems that most roads around here have this, which makes for a VERY beautiful tunnel-like experience.  Wild roses are even growing out of them in places. 

The waterfront

Margaux looking for sea glass.


The first stop was the actual Atlantic Ocean waterfront; a place called Lower Cove.  It is nestled in a bay, so the waves were not too terrifying.  What I noticed was that the rocks were very different from what I am used to.  Seaweed was everywhere! And, the stones were covered in shells.  Margaux was on the hunt for sea glass.  So once I found some, I was hooked on finding some myself.

From there, we walked around to Charles Fort, and then to the Bulman Pub where we had lunch.  Then we headed into Kinsale along a beautiful paved walking path that follows the sea to gather supplies for dinner.  That consisted of meat from the local butcher, greens from the market, and then the long walk back.

Most of the walls used rocks stacked like this.  They are laid horizontally on end.

Ft. Charles with the Irish flag flying in the wet breeze.

View from the fort looking towards the Atlantic Ocean.

Kinsale Harbour

Flowers were everywhere

The local butcher.

From the center of Kinsale, it took an hour and fifteen minutes walk to get back to the cabin.

We were wiped out.  K's watch said we walked a little over 8 miles with 1000 feet of elevation gain, and now it was my time to hit the shower.  Finally!


Our little KIA.

Right hand drive, 6 speed manual.

K rocking a massive dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment