Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Monday, June 17, 2019

Galway 15

An entire day in Galway.  Yes!  We slept in for a bit and watch some "Friends" episodes on an Irish channel that only plays Friends.  I had to do a double take when Andrew told me that was really a station.  After that mess of a morning, we loaded our packs and headed out.

Me, Andrew, and Margaux in Eyre Square

Andrew enjoying Shop Street

We found out that Galway is a super popular tourist place.  The streets were littered with visitors and the weather was perfect.  It was equally fun watching people as it was looking at the buildings and shopping.  I had a few things to pick up and was on the hunt for some instruments.  We went into a tourist shop and grabbed some small stuff and then pressed on.

The first music shop we found was closed, but Opus II was open and had the coolest stuff.  I was looking to get a better Irish whistle or a bodhrán, an Irish frame drum. This music shop had them both, so I looked at what they had and couldn't decide just yet.  So, we had lunch at a place nearby while I thought it over.

Mussels and Chicken Kofta

Our lunch location was recommended by the Airbnb apartment owner, and was a great choice.  No joke, it was right across the street from the music shop.  We had mussels and chicken kofta which was all delectable.   After lunch, we headed back to the music shop.

After talking with the very nice woman in the store, I was sold on the drum and whistle.  She showed me a few ways to play the bodhrán and got me all set up.  This will surely take some time to play, but I am ready for the challenge!


My new bodhrán!

and my whistle.

We then went back to the apartment and chilled for a bit before heading out on a short walk.  We wanted to see the Spanish Arch and Caoc Arch that remain from the cities front wall from the 1500's, and see the sunset before dinner. Tons of people were chilling out by the river and the sun was doing it's thing.

Spanish Arch and Caoc Arch Built in 1584

Dinner was prepared back at our place with a view overlooking the Galway harbor.  We listened to Andrew's Irish Road Mix and enjoyed our last evening on the west coast or Ireland.  Tomorrow we head back through Athlone to Dublin.

The crew basking in the sunset on the River Corrib.

Tomorrow we head down the "Rocky Road to Dublin."  We are so sad to realize our trip is almost over.


No comments:

Post a Comment