Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Colca Canyon Day 2

This post has to be short and sweet. I took way too long on the first day in Colca Canyon. We have to get out of here and see more of Arequipa before our departure to Puno tomorrow.

We woke up at 4:15, met Jean at 4:50, had a light breakfast, and headed out in the dark with our headlamps on our heads. The room had no electricity as the solar unit was discharged. Oh well, we didn't need it anyway.


I think we were the first group on the trail.  Our pace was steady, as we wanted to beat the hot sun on the climb out of the canyon. 




We had mules passing us on the trail a few times. I noticed that they were much cleaner than the ones at the Grand Canyon in Arizona. The Peruvian mules don't seem to excrete coffee-like urine all over the trail like in Arizona. I don't understand, but I will look into this.

This is our group at the top.  We had a few celebratory hugs and then a 30 minute hike to our 2nd breakfast location.  We got out in just under 3 hours.  



We hiked through some of the terraced farmland and had to jump over the irrigation channels.   2nd breakfast was in a little hostel/restaurant in the village of Cabanaconde.  It was very nice and quiet. 


Some friendly mules. 

This is a work team we saw building a new retaining wall.  Jean mentioned that they are so strong because they chew the coca leaves.  

Great lunch with some coca tea.  It's like a Red Bull, but natural. 


This mule must have been scared of Tommy.  He scared the poop out of it. 

Our van stopped at a tremendous viewpoint of the terracing.  I have a better shot on my phone.  It will be up later on here. 

Hot spring pools for rest and relaxation.

We noticed lots of old USA trucks around.

Tommy had a little playtime session at our stop for lunch.  Notice all the FUN playground equipment that is forbidden in the USA.  I remember playing on this stuff as a kid. 


Our route back took us to over 15,000 ft above sea level.  Geeze!

Mr. Garmin agrees.  This is way up!

That's an active volcano in the distance.  Check out the smoke cloud coming out of the top. 


Vicuñas!

Llamas and alpacas!

When we got back to Arequipa we showered and headed to the potato restaurant close to the hostel.  I could write an entire post on the potatoes and experience there.  Just maybe, but we gotta get out of here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment