Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Dillon, Colorado

6 Aug 2013               Dillon, CO

             Dillon was awesome!  We didn’t do much but chill and hand out with our friend Jim.  Jim and his parents have a mountain cabin just down the hill from Keystone Ski Resort that we have visited in the past.  Previously, we have come up in the winter to go snowboarding, but this time it was summer and the whole area has a different feel.  I went on a long walk with Jim on one of the same traisl that was snow covered before.  It rewarded us with some views of the Dillon Reservoir, and the surrounding mountains.  It was great to catch up with a great friend.  Katherine was still resting her sprained ankle and relaxed inside. 


           
            Our travels luckily coincided with Jim’s 50th birthday.  We decided on going up Keystone mountain for a dinner at the Aplenglow Stube.  We enjoyed the restaurant so much before with Jim and his mom, I was happy to get up there again for the evening.  You have to take two gondola rides to the top and weather can be really bad.  Last time is was bone chilling, but this time it was quite pleasant and warm.  Dinner was superb! 

            I had a mild catastrophe at the cabin.  It was my feather pillow that I have had for over 10 years.  It was time to finally give it a wash to clean off all the grime and campfire scent.  Previously, I washed it in a 5 gal. bucket, but this time I thought I would just toss it in the washing machine at the Shoff house.  Little did I know I put it on “normal wash” mode and not “perm press/delicate.”  When I returned to see the wash, this is what I saw.  Oops!



            I spent the next 20 minutes cleaning out feathers….  Yay.  Eventually, the washer was cleaned, and the dead pillow laid in the garage dying a grotesque death.  I lost a real friend. 

            If you have been reading the blog thus far, you might see that I am not updating everyday, but just noting big locations.  In Europe and Asia, I was able to write more frequently about the travels.  The time at the Shoff cabin let me catch up and finish the Yellowstone and Billings posts.  The work environment these is stellar.  I has a view of Tenderfoot Mountain, and a leather recliner chair, and clean clothes.  How nice.  That is why those blogs are longer and a little more descriptive. 


            I went on a few trail runs by myself and reorganized the gear in the truck.  Also, this was a great time to put some practice on the ukulele and the alto trombone.  I thought I would be doing more of that on this trip, but other things have taken over.  We have just seen a LOT of friends and talking with them has been more fun than practicing. 

           Tomorrow, we are off to Albuquerque.  I love getting back to New Mexico.  It is truly beautiful and we will be meeting up with my friends Joe and Laura, and then my parents come into town from Virginia.  We will all then be heading up to the Santa Fe Opera.  I can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment