Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Monday, June 24, 2013

Park City, Day 2

20 Jun 2013              Park City, Day 2

            There was no running today.  Our legs need a rest for the Ragnar race tomorrow. 

Let me tell you a little about this race.   Ragnar is a 12 person running relay race totaling about 200 miles.  Each runner takes 3 sections of the race which can total 12-20 miles.  We split into 2 vans and go through the night to cover the distance.  Ragnar is the name of the company that started this race series.  It started in Utah with the “Wasatch Back” 10 years ago, which we are running.  They have since expanded all over the country.  We were part of the Las Vegas Ragnar race 2 years ago with almost the same team.  Tony, a kindergarten teacher from my school got us involved back then, and it was so much fun, we decided to do another.  I was reluctant at first to enter a race with such a large team, and run through the night for no other reason than just fun.  I am glad that I gave it a try.  It turned out to be a giant running party.  Each 12 person team comes up with a name and dresses up for the event.  No this is not Portland, but something like all that!  Katherine and I are in van 2 that gets started a little later in the day on Friday (tomorrow).  We will not finish till Saturday in the afternoon or early evening, if all goes well.  I will run with my camera and try to get some good shots. 

The radio event of the day was not the one contact I made in New Hampshire, but Tony saying that his doctor said to stay away from the radios.  He had a pacemaker put in to keep his heart in line, but has to stay away from crazies like me with high power radios.  Actually, I am not very powerful with only 100W, but some guys will run up to 1,500Watts through their antennas.  That might just stop Tony in his tracks.   We surely don’t need that!  I will be safe around him.  Maybe the ham radio transmission would make him run faster? 


It will be an early night.  Tomorrow will be a long day running into the next on with little or no sleep.  The Wasatch Mountains are beautiful, and running a long race through them will surely be a delight.  I will keep you informed. ~G

No comments:

Post a Comment