Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Grisy-Suisnes, France Day 2

Jan. 1

I guess this day was split with the day before. We were up so late, we actually started this day the night before. It was a blast! We woke at noon at the Cochet house and started to slowly pack our gear. Then we went downstairs to see Anne, her sister, and brother cleaning the entire house. They wanted it to be perfect for when their parents got home in a few days.

Anne's 18 month old niece, Louise, was in the front room playing with some toys. Thomas was entertaining her for a bit and it was neat to watch him play speaking French. She only says a few words, but it's still funny.

We all gathered at the table for breakfast. Me, Katherine, Anne, Thomas, Amelie, Eric, Louise, Adrien, Sandrine, and Anne's 2 girlfriends were there too. It was a loud, joke-filled breakfast. Anne pushed the French press coffee maker too hard spilling coffee all over the table. We let her off easy and cleaned up. They also had some bread with chocolate inside as well as some biscuits that tasted exactly like Egg Mcmuffins. We then cleaned up and did a thorough cleaning of the house, caught up on the blog, and Thomas vacuumed out Anne's little Saxo car.

Once we got back to Paris we had a little trouble parking the car. We searched for spots for a while and then found a great one. It was a tight fit, but Anne squeezed the Saxo in without a problem. Nice work! We left the gear in the car and went to a local pizza place that they had been raving about. The place was about 10ft wide and only had room for 3 tables, cooler, and a brick oven. The pizza guy whipped up some calzones and pizzas for us to take back to the apartment. When Thomas and Anne first arrived at their current apartment in Paris, this pizza guy helped them out with some local know how about the area. They frequent this place since the foods is spectacular. Another great meal.

Back at the apartment we did some laundry. I put up a line in Anne ane Thomas's bedroom and hung the clothes to dry. While checking my mail, I turned on the Skype app and saw that my dad was online. Cool! So, I got ahold of him and was lucky to see Alexis and Margaux (my nieces), my sister Suzanne, and my mom and dad. As they watched, I took them on a tour of the apartment, introduced everyone to Thomas and Anne, and showed them the view of the Eiffel Tower from the bathroom. During the conversation, the Tower went into the light show, so I was able to hold the iPad out the window to show them. Yeah!

Before going to bed, I showed Thomas how to use the program Handbrake to rip DVDs. It was a long day.



No comments:

Post a Comment