Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Prague to Berlin

Prague to Berlin

Cleaning up the hostel room was quick and easy. We gathered our stuff, packed our bags and checked out as quick as we checked in. We had to say goodbye to yet another great city. The trot to the metro was quick and I dropped of a bunch of glass. There was no recycling right outside, and I knew the bottles that I had were worth a bit for the deposit return. I just left them by the trash can in hopes that homeless dude would score and take them to the right place. We made it to the train station easily for our last train ride and departure for Berlin. In the station we grabbed some sandwiches and drink for the 5 hour train rides.

Now as I write this we are in the train cabin. This ride is something much different tha before. They overbook the triangle and people ar edifying in the aisle. We had a reservation, so we have great seats. In the cabin, there are 6 seats, and not 8. Therefore, 3 people across is much nicer than 4. We now feel that we in first class. The windows are also unable to be opened. This is because the air conditioning actually works. The temperature is comfortable and we are sitting with a Brazillian and a couple from Italy.

Already coming to my mind are some finalizing thought about the trip. I feel bad that we are already talking about how much fun and what a great experience it has been since we still have Berlin to visit. Last night I studied the map a bit to see where the hostel was and how we might get there. I am already thinking thoughts about what I want to do when we get back. Reading people's Facebook posts, it looks like some teachers are already going back to their classrooms. I can not think of anything worse right now. But whei do return, it will be a "Wham! Bam!" session to get things in order for e next year. Normally, when it is Sunday during a normal work week, I dread going back to work. No, I do not hate my job, but it is somewhere where you are forced to be. But now I will look at it different and know that I will be able to travel like this again next summer or thereafter. The next 9 months of work will give me time to talk about my experiences and let the memories actually set in. Talking aout the trip with friends and students will let me really have a different interpertaioabout what has transpired in the last 63 days. Yes, I believe that the trip has changed me, but I wi ll not know exactly how and how much till I get back in the swing of things in the USA. Only time will tell. Maybe my priorities will have changed and my determination shifted? Most likely so. But to what? Seeing different cultures and customs sheds a new light on you perception of the Goolagong ole' US of A. I hate to write this entry as a final to the trip, but the ideas and thoughts are coming. Hopefully, this will halo to vent a bit and not end the trip with a massive recap. I would like to briefly spread the ending thoughts across the lat week. I am sure that once in Vegas, I will have some interesting entries about what life is like back at home.

As I write this paragraph, we are back at the hostel in Berlin. The train got here exactly on time which was a nice change. In the past, with our travels, we have seen some pretty late arrivals. The main train station in Berlin was ginormous with 3 or more levels. The S and U Bahn (their subways) connect there with busses outside as well. We shelled out for the metro tickets and quickly connected and found our Hostel's street. The air was cool and the sky was sunny. Berlin was looking to be a nice city and the weather was cooperating. The hostel is named, The 3 Little Pigs, for some reason. Maybe there are three owners? It is an old convent with super high ceilings and a huge main lobby that used to be a theater. Now, it is a reception desk that also serves beer and has pool tables. Little different, huh? I do get the feeling that it's the hostel machine that we have heard about in the large Western cities, but we are not in the West, but this city has a little character from there. Everything costs a bit of money too. Thus pool tables, fooseball, computers, breakfast, and laundry of course. We have seen these things for free in other places, but in a big city this is expected. At least the WiFi is free to use on your own device. Probably not for long.

Today is August 13, 2011 and while out for a short stroll from the hostel we noticed that the flags are at half mast. Also, the footprint of the Berlin Wall is right inn the street of the hostel. We put this all together when we walked to the Brandenburg Gate. A little information sign stated that the Wall was first created started on today's date in 1961. What a weird thing to be here on the 50th anniversary! I can only imagine what it will be like in 2039 for the 50 year party of it being town down. I don't think there will be much partying tonight, since the Wall stood for so much evil. Tomorrow, we will take another "free" tour, but of this new city. I am sure that we will get a ton of info on the Wall and be bewildered with the history this city has seen.

Let me get some sleep since the walking tour should last over 3 hours and we always do more walking anyway. I never thought that it would tire you out so much, but with the mental stimulation of seeing all this new stuff, you get beat! Gotta have enough food, water, money ,and an extra battery for the camera. Already seen some funny weird encounters. I will talk about it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment