Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Monday, August 8, 2011

Prague, Czech Rep. Day 1

Prague, Czech Rep. Day 1

The night train was a little weird this time. We were in a couchette with 3 French travelers. We thought it would be a private sleeper room, especially for the price we paid. So, we were in for a surprise. Luckily, the French people were nice and courteous. We made the beds, taking turns in the small area, and just hung outside the room in the hallway. That is where you can stand and look out the window with the air blowing by. It's much nicer than being forced to lay down in the couchette room. I just go in there when it's time to sleep, and only then. It is interesting to talk with French people our age, especially the educated ones that are out traveling to broaden themselves and not to party. There is a huge difference between those travelers and you can pick up on that a mile away. While talking to them, who spoke darn great English, you know what not to talk about and what you can. But, it is fun to hover right on the boundary and see how they take it. If you want them to totally go off, start in on politics. No matter where you stand, the French people will tell you what's wrong, no matter what. Well, that was the stereotype. That was in my head, so I thought I would tread lightly. I hate getting a dissertation on how evil my country is. We avoided the danger spots of conversation and the night was fun. I took the top bunk without air circulation in the cabin. It was cool outside, but up there, it sucked. Hot, humid from 6 people breathing, and cramped. All I wanted was the window to be cracked, but everyone was sleeping. I did not want to disturb. Going out in the hallway cooled me off, and when I returned after a few minutes, the air-conditioning finally turned on. Then it got nice and I could sleep, but it was 3:30am. Oh, train travel.

We came into Prague with cloudy, cool weather. It was nice for a change. We did some research which made finding the hostel easier. It was a quick jump onto the metro and 5 stops to the north we got off. Right across the street was the hostel situated among some trees. It looks like the Alamo, with a front gate and painted yellow. We are a few miles from the center of Prague where the accommodation is much cheaper. It feels more quiet here and the public transit is amazing. There is the metro, trams, and bus service right here. I think we will get the unlimited 72 hour pass for the next few days. This would be nice in Vegas to have a system like this.

Dinner was a bite to eat in the Mexican/Pizza restaurant across the street. Next door to it is a place the sells VAT69. If you don't know what it is, look it up. Can't get it in the States. Saw the movie RED on the Mac device.

Tomorrow we will tour parts of the city. Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment