Garnerbiker's Journey on planet Earth

This blog started as a trip journal for the summer of 2011 Europe trip of 69 days. My wife Katherine, and I decided to use the entire summer break that teachers get, and go crazy. Everything was new to us. I was surprised at the blog's following. It has now become a tradition to travel on our breaks and blog about it. I write mostly as a journal for myself and students, but also give travel ideas to others that might want to travel like us, or go to the places we have seen. Take a look at what's on here. The experiences that I have had through travel are continuously shaping my life. I recommend you get out there and do it!

Translate

Monday, August 11, 2014

Cruise Day 6: Sea Day 2

Today was a relaxing, chilled out day.

My dad and I started the morning with an old-fashioned shave in the spa of the ship.  This consisted of an hour treatment on my face which I found a little weird.  I have never had anyone shave my face before, and I found it similar to being at the doctor or dentist.  The very nice lady washed, lathered, massaged, shaved, and moisturized the heck out of my face.  It just took me a long time to relax and go with it.  It was an interesting experience.  The spa is called Senses, and is hooked up.  The look and feel is Asian, and you can get all sorts of fooey, expensive treatments done to almost all parts of your body.  There is a sauna also, which I did not have the pleasure of trying.

Katherine and I had a sit down lunch at Lumiere's, which was quite tasty.  People always rave about the service on Disney ships, and it really is amazing.

After lunch we regrouped and headed to the Walt Disney Theater to watch Planes: Fire and Rescue in 3D.  The movie was good, and the 3D looks stellar in these animated films, I must say.


After the movie, my dad and I chilled out on the deck with a cigar, while Katherine and my mom had a facial.  This was a first for Katherine, which she really enjoyed.  As the females were getting their faces lathered and massaged in all sorts of weird ways like the man folk had earlier, the sun began to set.  Luckily we have our own private verandah from which to witness the beautiful scenery.  When Katherine and my mom came back from the spa, they quickly changed into their glad rags so we could head to dinner at Animator's Palate.  Let the shenanigans begin!


Mom with Sudhir, the head waiter for our section.

We sat down with these papers in front of us, and some markers in the middle of the table.  Our mission was to complete the drawings and then they would come to life later in the evening.  The drawings were scanned into a computer and animated on the giant screens next to our dining tables for everyone to see.  Pretty cool.



Me with Agus, our awesome server.

Below is a photo of Valentina, our other awesome server, and me.  I decided to wear Fred to dinner.  He is not Nemo!  Nemo cost too much.  This beautiful hat came from Laughlin, Nevada where cruising is a little different.  Ha! 



After dinner, Katherine and I decided to stay up late to see the premier of Marvel Comic's Guardians of the Galaxy.  Our ship had the earliest official viewing anywhere on the planet.  We felt special.  The movie was in 3D as well, which looked great in the theater.  The ship was completely quiet and abandoned at 2:30 am as we made our way back to the state room after the movie.  There are no hard partiers on this boat.

Tomorrow our port will be Athens.  Katherine and I are excited to return.  This is where we started our first big trip three years ago.  



No comments:

Post a Comment